We are able to contribute economically, socially and environmentally to sustainable tourism because:
- we have limited impact on natural resources and the environment
- are based on enjoyment and appreciation of local culture and have direct and powerful motivation to protect these assets by researching and distributing knowledge of local culture
- play a positive part in increasing consumer commitment to sustainable development through our sustainable tours we demonstrate how it is possible to make positive impacts on our environment
- maintain bio-diversity by preserving natural environments and habitats.
Quantifiable examples of our commitment to sustainable tourism include:
- Cultural Heritage preservation - we strive to educate the visitors to Selva Negra of the beautiful region where they find themselves. Located throughout the estate are many educational murals depicting indigenous history, language and art.
- Minimize Environmental Impact - by enforcing no hunting, deforesting, and damage in general of the flora and fauna in the estate. The estate and rain forest are patrolled for any damage to the environment.
- Bio Diversity Conservation - with the assistance of various local and international organizations we have monitored our flora and fauna and use it as a gauge of bio diversity conservation.
- Rainforest Alliance Network - joining with the rainforest alliance network we have further support in ensuring that environmental, social and economic sustainable standards are held.
- Carbon Footprint - We produce about 201.819 tonnes of CO2 per year. We offset our output with removal of 580 tonnes of CO2 per year. We have available 380 tonnes of credits.
- Wastewater Sanitation Management - an intensive sanitation process is in place to ensure the proper wastewater sanitation process. The process cleans the wastewater, generating methane gas in the process and ultimately irrigating fields with fertilizer rich water.
- Alternative Energy Sources and Energy Conservation - While generating our own power with a hydroelectric turbine sourced from a man-made lake eases the burden on commercially generated energy, we take significant steps to energy conservation. Including research on the best light fixtures, utilization of solar water heaters and monitoring energy usages.
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - reusing everything is part of our culture at Selva Negra. In an estate with more than 400 people living, a sustainable farm, an eco lodge with its visitors contributing to trash generation we generate less than a 55 gallon drum of trash a week. The rest is all reused and recycled.